As the temperatures get lower, energy bills get higher. Here are some easy and simple ideas that you can use everyday to lower the energy consumption of your home and save some money!
- Lower the thermostat during the day. If you’re not in the apartment, setting the thermostat to a lower temperature will help reduce the strain on your heater, and result in lower electricity bills. You can also lower the temperature slightly at night and add an extra blanket to the bed for a comfortably warm night.
- Seal inside windows/where windows meet. Placing removable rope caulk or peal-able caulk will help even well sealed windows retain heat during the winter. And, by using rope caulk, you will still have easy access to windows if you need them.
- Shut doors to unoccupied rooms. By shutting the door to unoccupied rooms, you can trap the heat in the room and not let it travel into a cooler hallway.
- Add moisture to the air. Humid air feels warmer than dry air, so by adding moisture to the air, you can comfortably reduce your thermostat a degree or two and feel plenty warm. By placing a few bowls of water in front of heat registers, you can easily humidify your apartment. As a bonus, this trick will also reduce the static electricity that grows each winter.
- Use passive solar heat. Open the curtains or raise the shades in your apartment with the doors closed. The sunlight will warm up the room, while the closed door will help trap heat inside each room.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room. This classic advice will really help you reduce the electricity bills in your apartment – particularly during winter when the sun sets earlier!
- Wear layers. Dressing in layers will let you maintain and modify your body temperature as you need. If you feel chilly, instead of turning up the heat, grab a cozy sweater or a warm blanket.
- Enjoy hot drinks. This may not help you save electricity, but there’s nothing better than enjoying a steaming hot cup of tea or cocoa on a cold day. During the holidays, be festive by drinking spiced apple cider! These drinks will leave you feeling cozy, whether you’re in your apartment or out having fun!
Post by Paige Gardner